Solar Street Lights
Solar street lights are raised light sources which are powered by solar panels generally mounted on the lighting structure or integrated in the pole itself. The solar panels charge a rechargeable battery, which powers a fluorescent or LED lamp during the night. Most solar lights turn on and turn off automatically by sensing outdoor light using solar panel voltage. Solar streetlights are designed to work throughout the night. Many can stay lit for more than one night if the sun is not available for a couple of days. Older models included lamps that were not fluorescent or LED.
- Solar street lights are independent of the utility grid. Hence, the operation costs are minimized.
- Solar street lights require much less maintenance compared to conventional street lights.
- Since external wires are eliminated, risk of accidents are minimized.
- This is a non polluting source of electricity.
- Separate parts of solar system can be easily carried to the remote areas.
- It allows the saving of energy and also cost.