Hybrid Solar Systems
Hybrid solar systems generate power in the same way as a common grid-tie solar system but use special hybrid inverters and batteries to store energy for later use. This ability to store energy enables most hybrid systems to also operate as a backup power supply during a blackout, similar to a UPS system.
Solar Hybrid Advantages:
- Stores excess solar or low cost (off-peak) electricity.
- Allows the use of solar energy during peak evening times (known as self-use or load-shifting).
- Have power available during a grid outage or blackout.
- Reduces power consumption from the grid (reduced demand).
- Enables advanced energy management (ie. peak shaving).
- Enables energy independence